Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Fewer Words. More Meaning. Good Practice.

Uninterrupted, focused time is scarce in this kid-filled life of mine. Most of it is already spoken for by other obligations and aspirations.

But on days like today, when my little flock sticks to the backyard, hunting bugs, picking strawberries, or lazying in a shallow pool, I find my thoughts wandering.

I recently stumbled across SMITH Magazine: Home of the Six Word Story. It's a fantastic little word puzzle. How much can you say in six word?  I forget the back story and I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think Hemmingway or someone placed a bet at a bar that he could write a six word novel. It went
For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn.
Packs a punch, doesn't it?

So when the SMITHMag newsletter advertised this new contest, I couldn't help but get excited. Compose your own six-word stump speech, and read the speeches of others. (Dad, I'm thinking you could easily win a contest like this!) These are brief, funny, and often quite insightful mini-speeches during this season of election overload.

I know what I'll be fiddling with during tomorrow's lulls.

1 comment:

  1. I like finding contest on the internet, though I must admit I don't enter many.

    Now you have me trying to think up a six word story that would pack a punch. :P

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete