Eight fire fighters and one police officer all gathered around my old beige oven a couple of weeks ago, while the kids and I shivered in the garage answering questions.
Yes, it was a baking mishap.
No, the cake wasn't burnt. It was delicious actually (double layer chocolate with cream cheese filling and butter-cream icing.... mmm - the picture below is for a triple layer and therein lies the trouble. If you ever scale a recipe back to a double layer cake, remember to scale back the ingredients or they will over flow and cause trouble!)
No, the self-clean feature hasn't ignited the crusty bits at the bottom before, much less burst into an oven full of flames.
Yes, please, use your fancy fan to blow the smoke out of my house so the kids can nap in peace.
In its place, my shiny new convection oven beckoned me to proceed with caution. I must admit, I was a little hesitant to use the oven.... or light a candle... I've seen enough of those nice fire fighters.
Probably not worth blowing up the old oven, but a nice consolation prize nonetheless.