She sported her typical high fashion: a brightly striped tank top and a pair of shorts she loves, bright green socks and purple shoes. She loves nothing better than wild color combinations. Adorable. While she stood there waving among her little friends I noticed a stark difference between the boys and the girls (a difference beyond color choice that has surely always been there, but is more noticeable now that I have Max).
It all reminded me of a couple of articles a friend passed my way not long ago:
Read them, or if you truly don't have time remember these two important lessons:
- Resist the standard greeting for little girls (even though it's true, they are adorable)... don't open with "Don't you look cute!"
- So what do you say? (other than the rote, "how's school going" which is always met with "fine")
- What are you reading?
- Have you been playing any fun sports or games?
- Have you made any art lately?
- Anythings beyond hair/body/clothing observations.
"Wow, you look so cute!"
It's deeply ingrained.... but I will do what I can to kick this habit!